I was driving home from church.
I was probably mentally and physically drained from fulfilling church responsibilities for 3 hours, yet still on a spiritual high from it all. A much needed high after 3 months of enduring the emotional exhaustion of the poking, prodding, drugging, and crying that go along with infertility treatments.
We were in the middle of an IUI round... our last one.
My Dr. was always optimistically encouraging about trying IUI first. She never discouraged us from it. But she was always realistic with me too. It's not like this was her first time at the rodeo. And I think she knew the possibility of success was very slim. She was anxious for us to have success. She was anxious for us to move on to the big guns... IVF. But while she was realistic about our treatment options, we were realistic about our financial options...which inherently made our treatment options less real.
When I received an email mid-cycle from my primary nurse informing me that Dr. Hasty wanted a consult appointment with me, it made me really nervous. She wouldn't say what it was about. But I knew it must be something in depth if she wanted me to drive 2 hours to ATL just for me to sit down and chat with her.
I can't remember how long I had to wait for that appointment day... Just that it felt like an eternity. Any time your mind is left to wonder and imagine, it's likely that your imagination will get the better of you and your nervous system. As if going through an IUI round isn't anxiety-inducing enough as it is. :/ But I wondered and wondered...what on earth does she want to talk to me about?!...
...and then I felt the thought cross my mind...
She's going to suggest the possibility of becoming an egg donor so we can afford to do IVF!
Eureka!
haha! Actually, it did indeed feel like a Eureka moment. You know that feeling when everything just clicks in your mind and it feels aww-worthy, mind-boggling, and yet clear all at the same time? You start connecting dots and making plans. It was so strange to feel excited at such a prospect...donating my eggs. I don't know how much of that really sunk in at that moment. I think most of what I was thinking was that I possibly just discovered an open door in a dungeon full of slammed shut and locked ones. The door that would lead to my baby. Of course, I didn't know for sure that that's what Dr. Hasty had up her sleeve, but I felt pretty confident. I felt like I had received a prompting from the Holy Ghost. I felt like God was preparing my mind for what I was about to hear and discuss with Dr. Hasty, and He was letting me know that it was a good thing for me to be willing to do. I would be helping others who were in a similar yet seemingly worse-off situation than I was by making an anonymous donation of my healthy eggs, and in turn would be helping myself by receiving a cost-reduced IVF.
In that moment in my car on the way home from church, before I ever even heard a word about it from Dr. Hasty, I committed myself to be willing to make sacrifices for my future children. Even if it meant giving away little pieces of me.
Fast forward to TODAY.
"Wait, wait!" you say. "What happened at your consult appointment with Dr. Hasty?" Well...
Yes, my thoughts were right. Dr. Hasty suggested the possibility of becoming an egg donor.
Yes, our last IUI round failed that month. Obviously.
And YES, I wanted to do IVF through the egg donor program.
Like, right away.
Unfortunately, this was about the time my gallbladder issues took over, and after seeing Dr's about that, I began to feel all doctored out, all drugged out, all needled out, and I just wanted to be left the heck alone and maybe even do something fun for once. So I hopped in my car and drove to Kansas. By myself. To visit my sister and her family! It was GREAT! It was just what I needed to get my mind off of the crap I had just been through. And then I came home and threw myself into planning the enormous joint-ward music-filled Christmas Program that I was in charge of. It was huge. And it was FANTASTIC! And beautifully exhausting. With Christmas over at the turn of the year, I decided to continue the search to discover my gallbladder problems. Yep, discovered them alright. And had surgery to remove them. And now finally, after getting over the hump of surgery recovery, Stake Conference planning, and Scout Camp for Spencer, we feel like the timing is right and we want to press forward with making plans for IVF. Through the egg donor program, of course. That was the plan.
Until TODAY.
Yesterday...no, no...Last week...no, before then...Okay, the end of June...I started to fill out a stack of papers that seemed as thick as the phone book. It took awhile. I had to ask family members for personal health information (awkward). These papers demanded every little detail about me and my family history. Every genetic detail. And for some reason it wasn't very hard answering these questions. Not even the ones where I had to discuss my acne prone skin. No...it was the very end...the part where they asked me for 3 pictures. So I went a hunting for the perfect ones, including a baby photo, a child photo, and an adult photo. I pulled out the old baby book and began flipping pages and sorting through memories. I looked at the funny ones with my eyes crossed (unintentionally) and the even more funny (and embarrassing) ones when I had to get glasses as thick as coke bottles to correct my poor crossed eyes. And oh my, that fro of blond curls was enough to make a poodle jealous. My heart sank. I began to think, "What kind of picture am I supposed to send to a freakin' egg donor bank?! Nobody's going to choose eggs from a girl that looks like THAT! Or THAT! What are these people looking for? Angelina Jolie?! Why can't they just like me the way I am? Crossed-eyes and poodle hair included. It didn't help when I asked Spencer what he thought, and being the forth-right kind of guy that he is, very honestly told me that I shouldn't send in any pictures of me with glasses on. What?! Why? That was a HUGE part of my childhood! That was who I am!
And then it hit me.
And the waterworks started.
I was not just giving away eggs by the dozen like how you buy them at the store.
I was giving away MY crossed green eyes
MY petite frame and summer-tanned arms
MY long fingers and toes
My loud laugh
My quiet nature
My love for music
My tendency for art
And MY dark blond lion's mane.
It suddenly felt like I was giving away ME. And felt like no one would really truly understand and appreciate ME. Why am I giving a Baby Me to someone else that will never really know or understand me when I don't even have a guarantee that through this I will receive my own Baby Me? {sob!} I just want a Baby Me!!!
*deep breath*
*stifled cries*
*self encouragement* ....You can do this, Amy. This is the right thing to do. You feel good about this. This will help you get your Baby Me. And it's okay to share Baby Me with someone else that doesn't even have the hope or chance to have a Baby Them. You can do this.
So I did it.
I hit the Send button.
Or at least I thought I did. Apparently it never went through when I hit that send button Monday of last week. I found that out yesterday and spent the whole day trying to figure out how to scan it so that it was small enough to email and still big enough to at least be seen. And then the confusion between the nurses as to who was my official primary nurse now and the miscommunication about whether I was trying to receive eggs or donate them, and then the big fat worry-filled question mark of whether the Endometriosis has returned and questions regarding that. *sigh* It was a lot going on in one day, and thankfully it ended on a good note. I was able to officially get the documents sent and into the right hands. I was able to clarify my situation, find out who my official primary nurse is, and set up for testing to start next week. I also found out the worry-relieving good news that even if my Endometriosis has come back that I don't have to have surgery for it if I'm about to do IVF. Woohoo! Really good news. And I went to bed satisfied with my days work.
However, TODAY.
This morning, everything changed.
I received an email at 8:27 am informing me that the Dr's reviewed my case yesterday and declined my application to become an egg donor.
WHAT?! Why?! I'm not really sure. All they could give me was a vague list of common reasons applicants get declined, none of which applied to me, except for possibly medical conditions, either for myself or regarding family history. They also said that even if everything was perfect that they have to additionally consider the current needs of the donor bank.
It felt like such a huge, unexpected slap in the face. It felt like major rejection. It felt like yet another door slamming shut, and the darkness of the dungeon seemed to overtake me for a brief moment.
It took a few minutes until my tear-filled eyes readjusted again. I looked at my list of things I had hoped to accomplish TODAY. I looked back at that awful email filled with cold, politically-correct disappointment. After a good cry-out, I got up and made the decision to press forward with my day. I decided that there was still hope. I decided to focus on the things that I could control, and not let the things that I can't control weigh me down. I decided to focus on someone else besides myself and my sadness. I was able to go meet my good friend's new baby boy for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed laughing and chatting with her and seeing the pure JOY in her tired eyes from the excitement and relief of finally having her baby here. Her happiness made me happy. And that felt good. :)
I'm not really sure what will happen from here. We are pursuing financial options and hoping that we can manage to afford paying for the full-blown IVF cost and stick with our original timeline. We will fast and pray to know what to do. And I know that it will all work out.
In the meantime, I am feeling quite satisfied that I pulled together enough courage and willingness to share my precious gift of procreation. And here at the end of this long, hard day, I am actually feeling relieved that I'm not being required to give it. Kind of like Abraham and Issac. I feel like I passed some kind of test. I feel like I am stronger than ever. I feel like I know myself better. Like I can see a bit of the puzzle...
...among the pieces of me.


Hi Amy,
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry the egg donor program was a disappointment. I've been wondering how you are. Please forgive me if this next bit seems condescending or unwelcome...a year ago, Jesse and I were at the end of our rope and wondering how we would ever become parents. A friend asked if we had asked our family for financial help. We replied that they all knew our situation and we were sure if that was a possibility, they would have volunteered. However, we felt prompted to follow his counsel. A few days later, we spoke to Jesse's dad. He offered financial assistance. We realized months later that there were 5 anonymous contributors to our IVF fund. We don't know who they are, which makes it even more humbling.
Anyway, I know we don't know each other really at all, and this may not be applicable to you at all. We just never thought to really ask. Please know that prayers have been headed your way and I admire you so much for how you handle what life throws at you.
Thanks Kathleen! I'm so glad things turned out well for y'all! It truly is a humbling experience to have someone so anxious/willing to help you. We have also experienced that recently, and though it's difficult for us to accept help, it reminds us that there's a reason for the people in our lives and that relationships grow from not just giving help, but from receiving it as well. Thanks for all of your encouragement and support! I'll need some of your IVF insights, so I'll try to keep up the posts while we're going through all of this stuff for the next couple of months. Here we go!
DeleteAmy, Thanks for sharing such a personal part of your life. I think this blog can help other people who may feel alone in their similar struggles. I love reading your blog. It always inspires me! :) And, for the record, I think you look adorable in your little glasses.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sadie! Lots of Love to you, girl!
DeleteYou are soooo incredible to go through all of that. Thanks for sharing. ...hugs....
ReplyDeleteThanks for the HUGS Karalee! Sending one right back!
DeleteI love you!!!
ReplyDeleteI love you too!! Thanks for letting me come see you the other day! It really did lift my heart! I hope things are still going well over there. Give all of your boys lots of love from me! ♥
DeleteGeez, Amy, what a roller coaster! You have been through the ringer so many times, and yet you keep bouncing out as beautiful and amazing as ever. I'm in awe of you. Truly. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. Hoping hoping hoping for your own "Baby Me" soon.
ReplyDeleteP.S. I love the glasses picture. I think you look totally adorable.
Thanks Bonnie! I hope you know that it is examples from friends like you that have already been through the ringer a few times themselves that help me feel like I have the strength to press on. Thanks for everything you've shared with me along the way and for being my cheerleader! I'm sure I'll need a lot of your insights as I go through IVF these next few months. I'll try to keep everyone posted through the journey.
DeleteYou are my hero. Giant hugs and lots of love being sent your way. You, are quite simply, amazing.......coke bottle glasses and all. LOVE YOU my sweet sweet friend!!
ReplyDeleteI think you look adorable in your glasses photo! And, oh my word. What a post. What an emotional handful of months you've had. I would say that I'm so sorry the egg donor program didn't work out like you'd hoped--well, I guess I just did anyway--but I'm rooting for you and Spencer, things will work out. I'm confident in this not necessarily because I'm there with y'all or anything but I know that our Father in Heaven does delight to bless those who love and serve him. And you do! I really admire your strength and your endurance. I wish you the very best these coming days.
ReplyDeleteAmy, My little sisters friend didn't want to ask family for money for IVF so they asked for donated items and had a silent auction. People donated homemade things, gift certificates to businesses they owned etc. They made at least half of what they needed. Just an idea. I hope it works out for you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool idea! If this IVF round doesn't workout for some reason, that idea will definitely be on my backburner for future financial options. Thanks, girl!
DeleteBeautiful post! I'm so impressed by your faith and determination. I think of you often and I will be sending happy thoughts and hugs your way. Keep us updated on the IVF.
ReplyDeleteAmy, this might seem totally random and/or slightly creepy to you but I've been reading your blog for some time now and have totally been inspired by you. To make that statement a little less random and/or slightly creepy, we both lived in LaJolla Apartments and had a Sociology class together at BYU-Idaho in 2003 or 4 (and I think the same young man may have pursued us both. Did I just go back to creepy?) I don't remember how I originally found your blog (probably blog surfing one night) but I was immediately captivated by your honesty, humor, and ability to persevere. Although our experiences are different, I can relate to your feelings of frustration and desperation and very much appreciate your eloquent way of writing about how you pull yourself up and press forward with the help of the Lord. It's obvious that you will be a beautiful, wonderful mother to some very blessed children. Thank you for writing!
ReplyDelete