Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Beginning In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
So the financial doors have been miraculously opened for us (there are stories I could tell, but wish to keep them private. Let's just say that after taking a huge leap of faith, God has worked through multiple avenues to alleviate what would otherwise be a huge burden for us. Pure miracles.) We've at last started on this journey called In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). A journey that I always suspected we would have to go through but seriously hoped to avoid. And now that it's here, it feels quite exciting!! It feels like everything is falling into place to allow us to do this. It feels like it's TIME. All of the testing went great. My endometriosis hasn't returned, so that's a huge plus. I have a medication protocol that I have to follow over the next month and a half to two months. It started last week (the 20th) with birth control pills to regulate my system. And then yesterday, Spencer and I drove up to Atlanta to take the injections class to learn how to administer all of the shots that I have to give myself and some that he will have to give me. It's not the first time I've given myself these subcutaneous (short needle-in the belly) shots. But there are different medications involved this time, overlapping each other on the timeline, different needles, different ways of mixing and administering, different purposes and side effects. It's a lot to keep track of going through it for the first time. It can be a bit nerve-wracking. Not to mention the PSYCHO side effects of the drugs I'm pumping into my body. It's been a LONG TIME since I've been on any kind of birth control pill, but I can still remember clearly the emotional roller coaster those things put me through during our newlywed days. I never did well on them and eventually tossed them out the window. It's an annoying thought to realize we never needed them to begin with. Thank goodness it hasn't been too bad this time around...so far. I just started the Lupron injections last night (to suppress my body's natural ovulation). My hand was shaking as I administered my first shot. More nervous about starting this whole process and whether I was doing it right as opposed to being nervous about the pain of the needle. It wasn't so bad. But my belly itched afterward and I felt a little lightheaded the rest of the evening. Side effects I guess. In another week, I'll add more shots to my daily routine that are considered the stimulation meds (to stimulate follicle/egg growth): gonal-F and Menopur. I'll have weekly trips to ATL for Dr's appointments these next 2 weeks, and then about Sept. 15-23 I'll be at the Dr. almost everyday. We haven't decided yet how to handle all of that, whether to drive the 4 hour round-trip drive every day, or if we'll need to get a hotel room. I hope all of this goes well. I hope I do it right. I hope these drugs do what they're supposed to do and that my body responds right. I hope I can keep my sanity intact and still be nice to people even though I might be going crazy on the inside with spasmatic bursts of irritation.
I hope it WORKS.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading!...And for sharing your thoughts about Finding the Sunshine ☼. It totally makes my day. :)