So, NO, my good news isn't what you were probably hoping for, but it is definitely related to the subject.
I had a Dr's appointment last week to establish a relationship and update records with my local OB/GYN. Mostly, I was wanting to get his recommendation for a fertility specialist since there is only one around locally and the rest are up in Atlanta. As I was talking with my Dr, telling him what our situation is, I mentioned what the Quack up in Virginia told us: that our only option is to do In vitro Fertilization (IVF). He's like, "Wait a minute, you only have a male infertility factor?"
"Yes. According the the test results we've had done."
"Well, you should be able to do an IUI and have success with that."
"Huh? I thought that wasn't an option for us?"
"Some of those Dr's will tell you your only option is to do IVF because they get so much more money out of it. We'll give you a referral to Dr. Butler in Macon and when you talk to him tell him you specifically want an IUI. [He explains the procedure] And then when you get pregnant, call me!"
"Great!!!!! You BET I will!!!"
Okay, this might not sound like anything great to those that aren't in the "know" of what all of this infertility treatment stuff is, but I bet you'll understand when I mention dollar signs:
Typical price for IVF: $12,000
Typical price for IUI: $500-800
Amount of testing and poking and prodding for IVF: LOTS!!
Amount of testing and poking and prodding for IUI: Not very much at all
Of course there are always pros and cons to everything. Without a doubt, IVF is more successful than IUI. You have more control with IVF, verses IUI you sometimes have to do several cycles to have success, and it can have a greater risk for multiples if stimulant drugs are involved.
Either way, we feel extremely relieved, excited, and at peace that this is what the Dr's want to try with us first. You never know...This just might be what works for us!
And it could work very soon, too! Call it luck of the draw if you will, but I just got a call back today from the Fertility Specialist's office asking me if it's possible to have the paperwork filled out and back to them by this Friday. I was a little confused as to why they were asking that when I didn't even have a for sure appointment yet, but I said, "Sure, I can do that." Well, they just had a client cancel on them and wanted to know if I could fill that appointment on Dec. 28...two weeks away! Otherwise, it wouldn't be until February that they could see us. Are you kidding me?! We'll take it!! I'll fill out a whole ream of papers for you if you need me to! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! The Lord must be as anxious as we are to get this ball rolling is how I feel about it.
We just feel really good with all of this. Who knows at this point what it will lead to, if we will end up having to do IVF afterall, or if we'll find success with IUI. We may run into bumps along the way. That's okay. We've had our share of disappointments and at this point we've just come to anticipate them. But we feel prepared for it now. So whether it be disappointment or joy, Come what may and love it. But I tell ya, I sure am ready for a little bit of that JOY stuff!! ;) Bring it.
Rest assured, I will keep you posted. And I'll resist the urge to add suspense next time. Buuwaahaha!
Oh that is such good news. It makes a world of difference when A) you have a doctor that cares more about the patient than the benjamins and B) when a doctor gives you hope! I am so excited that you were able to get an appointment in just a couple of weeks!! YEAH!!!
ReplyDeleteThat is GREAT!!!! Good luck with everything!
ReplyDeleteThis post made me so happy! How exciting! Hope you guys have a merry Christmas!
ReplyDeleteOh, YAY!!!! I am so excited about the IUI! I really really really need to talk to you now! If you get a chance any time, please call! we will defintiely be praying for you and thinking of you! Hooray for the new option!
ReplyDeleteThat is great news! I hope all works well!
ReplyDeleteThat is so exciting! Awesome, awesome, awesome!!!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting!! Oh I do look forward to the blog post that WILL COME with the News of Success in this new journey for you guys. Yeah it's a shame how some doctors are just trying to squeeze money out of people but thank goodness there are a lot who don't. I really hope the IUI works out!!
ReplyDeleteWhat exciting news. Early Merry Christmas to you!! :)
ReplyDeleteThat is great news, Amy!!
ReplyDeleteYay and Amy that is so awesome. We'll be praying for you!
ReplyDeleteI am so happy for you. I hope this new step goes wonderfully.
ReplyDeleteI really like when people are expressing their opinion and thought. So I like the way you are writing
ReplyDelete