My favorite memory of Mom that makes me appreciate all her sacrifice for us is about her old ugly orange bathing suit. It was fuzzy. It was like a big peach because she used it for so many years it had faded and the orange fuzz had become more peachy in tone. I used to look at that bathing suit as a kid and think how ugly it was and I was embarrassed to be seen with Mom when she was wearing it. As I have gotten older and I think about all that Mom has done for me, I think back to that ugly swimsuit and I think about all Mom sacrificed for me to have what I needed. She could have had nicer things but instead of spending money on herself, she spent it on us. I think about that ugly bathing suit and I cry with gratitude. Thanks for all you've ever done for me, Mom. I can never fully express my love and gratitude to you. I am thankful for all you have taught and hope that I can be as good a parent to my children as you and Dad have been to me.
Happy Mother's Day, I love you, Ryan.
P.S. "I'd rather spend my money on some good seafood.” -- Dad, as we drove away from the gates of Seaworld after seeing the prices.
From Allyson Lea’s Memoirs……………..
Every now and then Mom would lay on the bed with me and Yona, and she would position herself in between us with her head near our feet, and her feet would be hear our heads. She would tickle our feet softly, while we tickled her feet. We would laugh and talk and giggle.
While she had compassion for those who suffered from disobedience she was nonetheless quick to distance herself and her children from any unrighteous influence inside or outside the home. Many of these influences were things she saw others suffer from and knew with motherly instinct the effect it could have on her children and her attitude was one of stubbornness in such a way that she would have fought tooth and nail to protect her children from physical or spiritual danger. I now see that same stubbornness in myself and my children which we are all currently trying to mold into a positive part of our character. While she isn’t caught up in gospel hobbies her life is the Gospel. If she ever had any fun it was while she was at the same time serving the Lord. Whether it be laughing as a family, enjoying a Relief Society activity, playing church softball, hosting numerous firesides and going away parties at our modest home or laughing and telling stories about long bus rides to the Washington DC Temple she makes the gospel and family fun. While most women are in desperate search for happiness through money and worldly items, Mom has the key to a happy life nailed down. She should be watched and emulated by every woman who considers herself to be a true Latter Day Saint woman. I love you Mama on this Mothers Day weekend. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this example you have been to me. I know Allycia loves you and tries to do things as you would and values your opinions and judgement on important aspects of life. Happy Mothers Day.
Love,
Rex
I truly am a lucky gal--not only to have the amazing mother that I obviously have--but my incredibly cool siblings too. I was really glad we took on this project together. I loved the results, and more importantly I think mom did too.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for reading!...And for sharing your thoughts about Finding the Sunshine ☼. It totally makes my day. :)