Tuesday, February 9, 2010

success

me before surgery.
I'd just gotten my iv put in. the nurse was super sweet, but I wanted to ring her neck when the vein she was trying in my hand burst and became a goose egg. not that it was her fault...but it killed. hey, I managed to cheese out a grin for a picture. we waited a long time before the doctor came to take me in. Spencer was so impatient having to wait -- it was actually quite funny. I laughed and said,"I'm not sure if you can handle it whenever I go into labor! -- whenever that day comes -- That'll be a much longer wait than this!" He doesn't like not being able to fix the situation. And he certainly doesn't like some old man looking at my girly parts...doctor or not. so he gets impatient -- and I laugh at him. I don't remember much at this point. I remember when they had me sit in the wheelchair and they started putting the sleepy drugs into my iv. I was like "whoa! I can totally feel that already!" and i shouted as loud as I could, even though he was probably like 2 feet away from me, "Bye Spencer!!! See YoU LATER!!!" hey, i'm easily affected by drugs. I remember giggling. and climbing onto the operating table, leaning back while they stuck a bunch of stuff all over me, and staring up at the bright blue wall and thinking "pretty," and laughing out loud about it. and then it was all black. I woke up -- sort of -- a few hours later, painfully aware of the incisions in my abdomen. and this intense pressure in my bottom! I mumbled {but screamed in my head} "I've gotta poop." nurse: "No honey. You don't have anything in you." me: "I've gotta poop." Apparently that's all I said for the next hour, even though there was no way it was possible. My best guess is that i must have been having nightmares about the previous late night I had spent in the bathroom. *shudder* I remember vehemently hating my nurse in the recovery room. I kept telling her I needed to poop and vomit and she was just like "whatever." Spencer finally helped me get up and go to the bathroom, where nothing happened of course, but still... he helped me... and flushed the toilet to make it sound like something had happened. The only good thing that winch did for me was hold an alcohol swab to my nose to reduce the nausea. It was working wonders until *plop* she dropped it in my lap without a word -- to go answer her cell phone. grrrrrrrrrr mom later told me that I gave that nurse the nastiest look she'd ever seen me make as the woman walked away from me. I think those drugs made me extra feisty. I'm normally not so easily upset. They took me home. I rambled mindlessly. Later, when I better understood, they told me of the good news: My ovary was saved! My tubes were clear! And they were able to remove the massive cyst and the massive amounts of endometriosis! Yay! I was electrified and ecstatic to hear this and I talked the rest of the evening, and ate everything in sight, even though I probably should have been sleeping. I was so excited when my sister came over to visit me. She brought me these beautiful flowers and a basket full of muffins and cookies that totally hit the spot. I've been craving chocolate like a mad woman!! And I feel so loopy! And I feel frustrated letting people do things for me while I lay here. But I am grateful for my loving family and friends that are so sweet to me. I am grateful for my doctor and the knowledge that he uses ever so cautiously to help couples like us. And I am grateful for compassionate, caring nurses. I'm sure even that recovery nurse meant well, despite her lack of professionalism. Thanks for all of your prayers and concern! ...Now when can I get up out of this bed? There's work to do!

8 comments:

  1. Wahoo! Yea for success! Sorry you had a crummy time with that nurse. It's amazing the difference (good or bad) a nurse makes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO glad that things went well. Hope all is better now. Good luck and get some rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you had surgery...or even your tragic story. My heart is sad for you guys. I'm glad you found my blog, so now I found yours and we can keep tabs on each other. I'm so happy. You take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm so so glad that your surgery was a success! Good luck in the next few months! I'm so sorry about the nurse too. It makes it so crappy when you have bad ones, and amazing when you have good ones. Get better hon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your surgery was a success! And yes, get some rest! Take it when you're allowed to :) I'm sure you'll be back up on your feet in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yikes.

    surgery is never bueno, especially when you have such awful staff taking care of you! i need to send them a strong worded letter.

    i'm glad to hear that it went well. take care of yourself, rest up, and heal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot for the life of me picture you giving anyone a dirty look. I'm so so so glad your surgery went so good. What a crazy scary thing to have gone through though. You are a strong woman!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope everything goes well for you guys! I'll keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!...And for sharing your thoughts about Finding the Sunshine ☼. It totally makes my day. :)