Sunday, July 13, 2008

Whew! Glad that's over...

Spencer and I gave talks today in church! Whenever I have to give a talk I spend hours preparing and writing it out, and I end up with all of this information typed out on paper. And I worry about it and stress about it and get nervous the way most people do when they have to speak in public. It's all I can think about until it's over. I don't notice anything around me... There could be a hot, naked man walking into the room and I would have no idea... That's how focused I get when I have some kind of responsibility I have to take care of, talks, lessons, presentations, whatever. And then when I get up there to the pulpit, whatever comes out comes out. It's almost like an out of body experience where I can tell that my mouth is moving but it's like I'm not the one saying the words. I mean, I read what I've prepared, but sometimes it comes out differently than the way it is on the paper, and most assuredly I don't use half of the information that I spent hours preparing. I suppose the whole purpose of giving talks is for the preparation process anyway. It gives us an opportunity to take one subject and just dive into it. I always learn a lot when I have to prepare a talk. But still, I can't help but be annoyed at myself a little bit when I realize how many hours I put in to a 10 minute talk where I only used half of my material. But more than annoyance, I just feel relief that it's over, and I feel a lot of peace that my prayers were answered, that I said what the Spirit prompted me to say, and it was just bonus points if anyone felt they enjoyed it. Might I add also that Spencer did fabulous on his talk. To me, nothing is better than having to give talks together. I enjoy listening to what he has to say, and it definitely brings us closer. It also helped people in our new ward get to know us better, and us them since so many came to introduce themselves afterward. That's how we got snagged to substitute in the nursery today. I wasn't too thrilled at first, but I am always willing to do whatever, and I ended up having a blaSt! The 2 and 3 year old kids were the cutest, and so sweet! I guess I really have been missing Primary a lot. There were 3 little girls and 1 boy... Spencer became pals with the boy while me and the girls played with babydolls. How fun! It amazes me how little, tiny girls that are just babies themselves already have this natural instinct for taking care of others, babies in particular. And of course, Men are just little boys forever.

7 comments:

  1. ah I know what you mean, how scary! I bet you did fabulous though! What was your talk on? That's cute about getting to go into nursury, you have a small nursury! We have about 15 kids that come regurly, only three or four of them girls and the rest boys! That'll be nice when the girls get older, they'll have a nice variety to chose from =) Anyhow if you want you should post your talk, you don't have to though, i probably would be to self concious, but yeah, I would enjoy reading it I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! 15 kids! I think their nursery was separated into older and younger nursery and we had the older ones, but they said that there's usually about 8 of those and we only had the 4. It was a breeze. Post my talk?! Are you kidding?! I'll think about it. Anything for you, Sommer. ;) It was about the Blessings of Freedom, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not enjoy giving talks! I do learn a lot while I prepare, but I get so anxious. =) Not my idea of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, you don't have to if you don't want, I don't blame you! Scary enough having to give a talk behind the pulpit let alone letting all of the internet world read your talk, you probably just want to put it behind you =)

    Well that's a lot different then, you do have a big nursury, ours isn't split up so that's probably why it seems so big. I bet if they split ours up we would have about the same as your ward has.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure glad that we've dodged the bullet of giving talks! I feel ya on the whole giving talks thing, not a big fan of it. Guess what? We're on the activities
    committee together! It's kinda funny,since thats like all I was on while in school. We're the youngest ones on the committee.

    -John Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sweetie: I'm sure you did fantastic on your talks. I was so thrilled to be present in Virginia when you gave a talk. I have also heard Spencer give talks and share his testimony and he does an awsome job also. Hey, how would you like to see your name on the program as a speaker and not knowing ahead of time? That happened to me just three weeks ago. I was sitting in Sacrament and happened to pick up the program to see who was speaking because I didn't see anyone on the stand. When I saw my name as the first speaker I thought I would faint. I was asked to speak a few weeks earlier but indicated that I would be out of town. In fact, the business trip was cancelled just four days earlier. I wasn't suppose to be at church!! I was sitting all the way in the back overflow area and had to walk to the front. I said a quick prayer and spoke from the heart and spirit. I spoke on my journey to the Temple. I received a lot of notes in the mail indicating what an awsome talk it was for not being prepared. I'm not sure what all I said, but I suppose I have a life time of experience in preparation.

    Your Blog is great. You do an awsome job. It's very entertaining. We're not the best communicators but you have certainly been on my mind more than usual, so I'm going to be calling soon.

    Love ya bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Amy!!! I haven't talked to you in forever! How did you find my blog? I am so glad you did. It was so good to hear from you and to get on your blog to read about what you guys have been up to these past few years. Tell Spencer hi for me! Well, gotta go play with a busy 2 year old that I have been ignoring this morning trying to get things done. Keep in touch!!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!...And for sharing your thoughts about Finding the Sunshine ☼. It totally makes my day. :)