Friday, September 19, 2008

5 Years Ago Tomorrow

Spencer and I had our first date on September 20, 2003. We first knew each other when we were in the same ward a few months earlier. But this was a new school year after being away for the summer months and we ended up having a class together: Statistics. He walked in the room and saw me sitting there...Our eyes met...We both smiled...and he decided to sit next to me. That was the beginning of a flirtatious friendship that blossomed into outright, amazingly fun dating, and then a desire to be with each other on a daily basis, to now eternal love. But I remember Statistics class...I hated that class! The only reason I ever went was to see Spencer, because I assure you, that teacher didn't teach anything nearly related to Statistics during classtime. It required a lot of desperate teaching-of-self outside of class, and that just didn't cut it. Our first test was coming up and Spencer decided to invite me to study with him on a Saturday morning in preparation for it. I don't remember if we studied or talked more! As we were talking he mentioned he and a couple of roommates were going down to the Fair in Blackfoot and I immediately got all excited because I love the Fair! I don't know that I actually invited myself...maybe I did...I think I said, "I want to go!" So he invited me. We finished studying, took our tests, and off we went to the Spud Days Fair! I guess it was more of a hang out situation than a formal date considering his 2 buddies were there with us and we met more of them there at the fair, but it was mostly him and me hanging out together. Most of his buddies there were old mission companions and acquaintances. I remember noticing how truly happy he seemed when thinking about his mission service...Not in a depressing, 'oh, I wish I was still on my mission' kind of way that some dopey RM's do. But it reminded me more of Alma the Younger's reunion with the Sons of Mosiah and how truly happy they were to see they were still brothers in the gospel together. I mostly noticed how respectful and gentleman-like he was, yet he was so manly. And I loved that we enjoyed similar music...ROCK on, baby! When we think of that day together, he often likes to tease me that I stared at him the whole time. I don't deny that I probably did. Partly because I was very flirty back then, and partly because I honestly liked what I saw. It's funny to look back on that day and realize that was the beginning of it all. The pictures posted are actually of us at the Spud Days Fair exactly a year later...when he gave me a special ring to wear on my left hand forever. So, to commemorate the 5th anniversary of our first date to the fair, we're headed to the Coweta County Fair tonight. Of course I still had to turn to my sweet Spencer and say, just as I did 5 years ago, "I love the fair! I want to go!" :)

7 comments:

  1. Awwww! So sweet! The 20th must be a lucky day because we had our first date on December 20th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's sweet! What a fun story; happy 5 years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I love the way you write! It's so entertaining, I loved that you posted the story about how you met and your first date, so cute! I think I was smiling the whole time. YOu both are so perfect and so beautiful apart and together, you make me smile so big when I see pictuers of the two of you. Now you need to post about your first kiss, and the engagment story and everything. What a cute story though! Oh yeah, and did you have fun at the fair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Date Anniversary! I loved reading this entry about how you met and proposal and all--esp. cool at the Blackfoot Fair!! BYU-Idaho rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations on the five years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! Ruby loved the fair. (it is kind of pathetic but she hasn't ever been to another one.)

    You are so cut together! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Amy, I do remember you, I thought you were so cute, and had a lovely singing voice! I have known Natalie for about 14 years or so now. She is from my families ward in Indiana, she is so awesome, and fun! Thanks for finding my blog :) and we should talk some more sometime!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!...And for sharing your thoughts about Finding the Sunshine ☼. It totally makes my day. :)