Thursday, September 11, 2008

We Want Pizza!

We are kind of a stick-in-the-mud family...Let's just say, not by my choosing. So, on the occasion I can convince my other half to venture out for an "activity," it is quite exciting to me. What happened to those dating days when we were always going out to do something?! {sigh} I think when boys are dating, it's more like animals with mating calls. They make loud noises and do funky dances to get your attention...But once they have their desired object, the dance is no more...or at least less often than we would like. But we love our men anyway, right ladies? I must admit, Spencer is so good to me in other ways that it makes it a little easier to overlook the decreased desire to do stuff besides veg. But last Friday night, my convincing skills seemed to work and we went out for a Pizza Picnic!
Me and Hershey waiting in the car while Spencer picked up the Pizza
Yay for Pizza and Cheesy Jalepeno Breadsticks! {Bring on that grease}
Then, it was off to the park.
So, the only park we could find (that allowed pets) was in a shady side of town, but it was a cute park and it seemed decent enough. However, there was a large group there playing soccer in the field, and there were a numerous amount of their young children being left unattended to. They initially attacked us as they saw we brought a puppy (which becomes increasingly annoying as most parents don't seem to teach kids how to approach a dog. Dog does not = Toy) Anyway, once we beat them off with a stick (not literally, although the desire was there) we were able to sit and enjoy good conversation over our pizza and breadsticks while the children still gawking at us from a distance. Once we had full bellies, we got up to put the few leftover slices in the car so we could go enjoy the swings. As I walked toward the car, I heard one of the kids say "excuse me," but I didn't think it was addressed to me so I kept walking, but then I heard in a louder tone, "excuse me!" I looked up just in time to hear them say very demandingly, "we want pizza!" I was so shocked my jaw literally dropped. I've never been so rudely demanded of like that, and from these little kids that didn't know us from the next Joe Shmoe on the street, I just couldn't believe my ears! The first thought that came to mind was, Heck NO! So, I told them politely, "Sorry, these are our leftovers for tomorrow." But then, my sweet, much more charitable and giving husband figured out what had been asked and told me I should give them a slice. So, with a slightly humbled grimace, I took them a couple of slices without a single "thank you" in return. But Spencer recalled the scriptures in Mosiah that say, "...and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain...For behold, are we not all beggars?" It's not like Spencer to just spout off scriptures like that...It was almost as shocking as the kids' demanding attitude! But the act of giving is so typical of him. I'm glad that I have him to show me a true example of what charity is. I was sitting there thinking, "Yeah, but these weren't real beggars...They were brat kids demanding something that they wanted." But he didn't judge the reason...He just gave because it was asked of him and he had it to give. I love that man! He is an everyday Hero. (But don't tell him that!...He hates attention.) We went on to have a fun time in the park after the Pizza Beggars incident. There was a big meadow where Hershey found a golf ball that she fell in love with. Spencer was chasing her all around while she carried it in her mouth (I was too sore from my first week of teaching at the gym...which went awesome, by the way). But I watched and laughed from a distance.

Caught her!

Here's a video of the FuN. Sorry, it was getting dark. (Remember to scroll down to turn off the radio)

7 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about the date thing. We were pretty good about going on dates before we had kids, but once the babies started coming dating got put on the back burner. We're trying to get back in the habit and actually have a date planned for tomorrow night! Just going out for dinner together, but it's not often we go anywhere without the kiddos so it'll be nice to just talk with my hubby and have some alone time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I love how you tell stories, it's so fun to read your blog. It's funny about how people greet your dog. Seems every where we go people go way out of their way to go around us. Get a bigger dog and people leave you alone, smaller dog, people assume it's friendly and can pet it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza Beggars.... lol. Amy, I would have reacted the same way you did; I get annoyed with bratty kids (well, more their parents- Are manners just not taught anymore???). And yeah, Ben is also content to just veg most of the time. We did so much more stuff when we were dating! I dunno, maybe we just need to have a picnic sometime; it's a good activity with not a whole lot of work but still fun, right? Thanks for the inspiration. :) And Hershey is SO cute! Her little ears flapping while she ran was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm so glad you did a new post, I was fixing to give you a stern talking too =) Man I totally know what you mean about husbands that never want to go out, Ben hardly ever wants to go out when he gets home from work, I guess cause he's been gone all day, but he loves just relaxing at home. I get so excited when he wants to go for a walk or even just to run errands with him. Funny how I never pictured it being that way, I vowed we would never be like any other normal couple, we would always be passionatly in love and fun =) I was getting soooo annoyed with those bratty kids as I was reading your post and then Spencer humbled me too! What a good guy he is! I certainly would have reacted like you, maybe even have been less polite then you. I get annoyed really easily with stuff like that, I have zero tolerence with in polite kids and their parents but what a christlike lesson to learn about not judging, thank you for that! I lOVED the video of Hershey, she was having the time of her life! I was laughing so hard how she would just drop like that, what a silly girl! You and Spencer are going to be wonderful parents someday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What brats!!! Yeah, scriptures are the last thing that comes to mind with unruly kids. What a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about Little Ceasers Pizza since your post. I made Carlos go pick one up today. Yummmmm!

    Spencer is obviously a great guy. I mean really, that car fire story is unreal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a story! I love the video! I am glad you are finding some parks. I recommend McIntosh (no dogs though) http://www.carrollcountyrec.com/mcintosh_reserve.php# and Cochran Mill http://www.fultoncountyga.gov/index.php/departments/parks-recreation/cochran-mill-park.html http://www.cochranmillnaturecenter.org/index.htm Good luck dating :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!...And for sharing your thoughts about Finding the Sunshine ☼. It totally makes my day. :)