Friday, January 1, 2010

HaPpY NEW YEAR, Southern Style!

It's tradition!
We eat Black-eyed peas every year on New Year's Day.
It's a simple southern folktale equation:
↑ peas eaten New Year's Day = ↑ money for the year
Am I money hungry? Nah. But a little extra help never hurt, right?
...However, I am for real hungry! I ♥ Black-eyed peas! Especially home cooked at mama's house, with cornbread, ribs, and scratch mac n' cheese.
Let's eat!
Happy New Year's Day to all of you!
I don't know what this year hold for us, but I hope it's good. It seems now more than ever it is easy to have a doomsday attitude about the future of our nation/world. Perhaps a lot of the situations around us are crumbling, but I just can't focus on those negative things or I stay stressed out and unhappy. Instead, I'll focus on what I can control. We can control what happens in our own homes and the choices we make in our own lives. For me and Spencer, I hope we continue to grow better individually and grow closer together as a couple as we each strive to grow closer to the Lord. I hope to continue to serve in His church with all my might. Did I mention I have FOUR callings now? Yep. First and foremost, CTR6 Primary teacher. Ward choir director, Ward music chairman, and now recently added: Stake Music chairman. I had to beg them to let me keep teaching Primary. I don't have a full-time job or children that occupy my time. I live to serve in the church. Sometimes I wonder if that's one of the reasons Heavenly Father has withheld children from us at this point. He needs me right now to do these things that I otherwise wouldn't have the time to do if I was busy with a baby. I had the opportunity recently to substitute teach in Seminary. I LOVED it! There's something about teaching the gospel, getting to express an enthusiastic testimony, to young people that is just a thrill. They're like sponges. They just need someone to show them how awesomely cool the gospel is. So one of my goals for 2010 is to be a better teacher. To learn and study more about gospel principles and prepare better for my classes. I have a few other goals too, thankfully none of which are to loose weight. Haha! However, I AM teaching a new class at the gym starting Jan. 9th: I'll continue to teach Total Body Training, but it's moved to Monday night at 6:30 and now Tuesday nights at 5:30 I'll teach Cardio Kick! Oh yeah, the kickboxing craze is back! So my goal is to help others loose weight better. :) I want to be a better cook...healthier cook. I want to be more steady and sincere in my prayer and scripture study. Be a better visiting teacher...give more service. Work a little harder, and teach Spencer how to play a little harder. :) What goals or resolutions do you have this year?
PS - Thank you so much for your prayers. It meant so much to me, and I know we will be strengthened because of it. We won't find out the test results until Monday since it's a holiday today. Can you say, torture! Almost as torturous as having to wait until Christmas Day to open my awesome Christmas presents...I should post about that. Best Christmas EVER! Kinda sad the holidays are all over now. What's so great about January? Blah. Blah cold weather (yes it gets cold in GA too...sometimes) Is it summer yet? Please get here soon. My swimsuit is begging to be released from it's stuffy storage bin.

1 comment:

  1. I sure wish I could have indulged in the Southern New Year meal. I have never had black eyed peas, I've make a killer 7 bean soup or navy beans w/ham, but never black eyed peas. I bet I would love them. Have an extra plate for me and let me know how I liked it.

    Love ya both!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading!...And for sharing your thoughts about Finding the Sunshine ☼. It totally makes my day. :)