I led the Choir for the Macon, GA Stake Conference! {little ol'
ME!}
Literally a dream come true!
I grew up watching my mom lead the church choir for a big chunk of my life. I was her 'mini me' and she would tote me to all of the practices and I would sit there quietly while I colored or something and listen to the choir sing. I would watch my mom and listen to what she said to the choir. I said to myself, "I want to do that one day." Even at a young age I was touched and amazed by the emotions of music, especially church music...I have always felt the Spirit at it's strongest, not just when listening to music, and not even just as I'm singing, but as I lead and direct the music. There is an energy that flows from my heart, through my arms, and out of my fingertips. I suppose that energy comes from my testimony of the truthfulness of what is being sung. It is an amazing feeling.
So, currently I am the choir director for my ward. It came down to a couple of weeks before Stake Conference and I wondered why I hadn't heard anything from the Stake Music Director about practicing music for that occasion. That same day Bro. Buzzell, the high councilor over music, came to me and asked me for help. I guess the Stake Director had dropped the ball and hadn't planned any thing and apparently wasn't going to. Bro. Buzzell had heard a piece we had sung recently in our ward choir and wanted to know if it would be easy enough to learn in one practice. And soon that conversation rolled into me being asked to plan, organize, and lead all of the music for Stake Conference, special musical numbers, special prelude, congregatinal hymns included. Yes, quite a request in and of itself, but in only 2 weeks?! Needless to say, I've spent the last 2 weeks doing nothing but music stuff. I have been extremely stressed and overwhelmed at times, and on the other hand I've been extremely excited and overjoyed. I feel a passion and a drive to make it what the Lord wants it to be. I've prayed non-stop. Contacted as many people as I could. Pondered over many hymns. And I've learned so much in the process. And now that it's over I have to say that it went so much better than I thought it would. I was quite worried that no one would show up. And I was quite worried that I was making it too complicated or impossible to do with all of the music that I was planning. And I was just generally concerned and worried. But as I've learned over and over again, the Lord makes his purposes happen. If we are willing to prepare ourselves as much as possible and then follow the promptings of the Spirit. What an experience! ~sigh~ It is now over and I can take a breath of relief.

Would you follow this chick?
"Ready... Set... SiNG!"
Anybody want to come join my choir? {wink} You know the choir director is alway begging people to come sing. Go support your ward choir!!!!
You did a great job and I loved the music you selected. My little girl was directing along with you! :)
ReplyDeleteWay to go Amy! I would join your choir!
ReplyDeleteI would follow you! in one of our byu-i wards our bishop asked all members of the ward to stand in sacrament meeting and had us sustain ourselves and each other as members of the choir. it went from non-existent to very large very quick! I'm glad you got to do that and I'm sure it was amazing with you at the helm!
ReplyDeleteThat is so impressive Amy, your talents never cease to amaze me!
ReplyDelete