I just had a thought occur to me today. It was one of those moments of extra strength and support that you know only comes from the Lord.Today's Sunday School lesson was 3 Nephi 17-19. This is the point in the Book of Mormon when Jesus Christ visited the Americas. Ch.17 is an especially amazing chapter that you can't help but feel overwhelmed with joy to read it just as the people did who really lived that moment.
Jesus asked for the little children to be brought to him. And he prayed for them. He said he was troubled because of the wickedness of the House of Israel and began to weep.
I love how when I read the scriptures I learn something different from them each time. A scripture that I've read before now brings new meaning when read in a different light. As I read through this I thought of the times I have watched shows like Nancy Grace that always cover a news story about child abuse, or baby's being put in microwaves, or a father throwing his own children over a bridge, etc. etc. etc. and how it always makes me bawl with sadness and frustration. Many times I feel angry.
Jesus wept. What else would make the Savior weep more than to know the hurt of little ones, physically, mentally, emotionally? Or the sadness of not being taught simple truths about the gospel and life.
But I pictured these children gathered around Him while he prayed for them and blessed them, and then He turned to the multitude and said, "Behold your little ones." As I read this the thought occurred to me that in what better care could children possibly be than when they are with the Lord. And then it was whispered to me, "You DO have children! They are still in His care." It was in that moment that I understood that Heavenly Father loves His children more than we possibly can. I felt content to know that I will be a mother some day and that my beautiful children are being well taken care of at the moment. I will gladly be patient and wait for that glorious moment when I get to meet them and be blessed with the opportunity of caring for them and teaching them about how they lived in Heaven before they came to earth. They are children of a Heavenly Father that loves them...and I do too!
...I have children!
That was so beautiful Amy, you made me cry!
ReplyDeleteAll I can say is WOW! And ditto to Sommer... you made me cry too. It is so great to know that I have such wonderful friends that are close enough to the gospel and spirit to feel and hear such inspiration and revelation. I am so happy for you that you were able to receive this insight.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting this. So beautiful. I love you Amy and so does Heavenly Father!
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love when you gain new insight to a scripture you've read a bunch of times?
ReplyDeleteSo sweet, Amy. I loved it, thanks!
ReplyDeletewhat a special experience. An eternal perspective does make things better.
ReplyDeleteYep, you got to me, too. Very beautiful and well spoken. I think about the Savior weeping for the children sometimes ... and then I have to stop because then I start crying. But anyway, I'm so glad that you had this experience; I hope it continues to bring you peace and assurance.
ReplyDelete